Addis Ababa, April 28, 2022(Walta) – Out of 1,485 heavy truck convoys destined to Tigray with humanitarian aid and fuel, only 386 returned, the National Disaster Risk Management Commission (NDRMC) said, calling for the donor community to force TPLF to release the vehicles.
NDRMC Communication and Public Relation Director Debebe Zewde told The Ethiopian Herald that so far, only 386 returned out of 1,485 convoy trucks that entered Tigray during the first round of humanitarian delivery. Accordingly, 1,099 aid trucks have not returned from Mekelle.
“Since there are several aid trucks that have not been returned from Tigray, donors are sending additional trucks without controlling the meeting of their mission. This has been affecting the flow of aid and endangering the Tigray people. The efforts would be made with stakeholders for the return of all remaining trucks that entered Mekelle with humanitarian aid.”
As to him, donors and the commission are committed to exerting efforts for the return of aid trucks. So far, only 386 returned out of 1,485 convoy trucks that entered Tigray during the first round of humanitarian delivery. Some 1,099 aid trucks have not returned from Mekelle, too.
Recently, 50 trucks carrying essential humanitarian supplies arrived in Mekelle, according to the World Food Program. However, only 21 trucks have returned. Noting some 74 trucks carrying humanitarian assistance reached Tigray recently, NDRMC expressed optimism that these and other heavy trucks would return from Mekelle and efforts would be made to make it successful.
Accordingly, the commission called on donors and the international community to pressurize the responsible bodies for the return of heavy truck convoys. “The return of these convoys would help them meet their mission and facilitate effective delivery of humanitarian aid in the Tigray State.”
It is to be recalled that the Government Communication Service accused TPLF of employing the aid trucks to transport its combatants.